When hiring a developer for a new or existing project, you want the best talent to suit your company profile and culture. What are the most important questions to ask your Kotlin developer-to-be?
1. What are your strengths and weaknesses as a developer?
This simple yet essential icebreaker question will help you determine the candidate’s awareness and how well they can handle criticism regarding their skills.
2. What is your favourite part of programming in Kotlin?
Asking this question will help determine if the candidate has a passion for this work and how broad their knowledge about the language is.
3. What common security risks occur in web development, and how can you mitigate them?
Security is one of the most critical elements of software development. It is essential to understand that the developer is aware of and can handle it.
4. How do you debug code when something goes wrong?
This question can help assess the candidate’s ability to work under pressure and how well they can work on their mistakes and fix them when they happen.
5. What is your typical workflow for implementing a new web platform or application feature?
Knowing how developers go about their workflow can help us determine if they will fit the team well.
6. What are your favourite distinctive features of Kotlin and why?
Sometimes the developers consider Kotlin to be the same thing as Java. Asking this question helps to establish if they have the necessary on-hand experience and understand the differences.
7. What is the difference between a class and an object in Kotlin?
Knowing the base concepts and differences between specific components and features gives us the certainty that the developer knows their way around things.
8. Give an example of when to use each type of variable in Kotlin
Here you can test the developer’s knowledge further, showing them they know when to use classes, vals, and vars.
9. How would you define a function with multiple parameters in Kotlin?
This question will test the candidates’ understanding of Kotlin function parameters, allowing them to display their in-depth knowledge further.
10. What are the different types of classes in Kotlin, and what are their purposes?
Classes and their types are critical components in Kotlin. Checking if a candidate knows them is crucial.
If your interest in this programming language gained an extra spark, join the discussion in the Kotlin Crew community to dive into more detail.